Meet the Board
At Technical Safety BC, we are governed by a board of twelve directors that provides oversight and ensures that we are safe, transparent and collaborative in our practices. They have the fiduciary responsibility of overseeing the conduct of the business and ensuring that all major issues affecting the business and affairs of the organization are given proper consideration. In performing its functions, the Board also considers the legitimate interests of industry, communities, and government.
Directors are appointed on the basis of merit; they must meet the qualifications established in the Safety Authority Act and abide by a code of conduct and our governance manual.
The work of the Board is supported by committees that provide additional focus on matters such as:
- financial affairs, audits, insurance and investments;
- governance and nominating functions, CEO performance evaluation and recruitment, compensation and other human resource issues;
- technical and enterprise risk oversight;
- regulatory development and compliance; and
- strategic advice and oversight.
The Finance and Audit Committee
The Finance and Audit Committee assists the Board in fulfilling its oversight responsibilities relating to Technical Safety BC’s financial reporting, accounting systems, budgets, internal controls, and audit process. The Chair of the Finance and Audit Committee is required to be a financial expert.
The Chair must:
- understand accounting standards for not-for-profit organizations;
- be experienced in preparing or auditing financial statements of comparable companies;
- have experience accounting for estimates, accruals, and reserves;
- understand internal accounting controls; and
- understand the functions of an audit committee.
Governance and Human Resources Committee
The Governance and Human Resources Committee assists the Board in oversight responsibilities relating to Technical Safety BC’s governance, compensation, and human resource policies and strategies. This committee also serves as the nominating committee.
Strategic Advisory Committee
The Strategic Advisory Committee assists the Board in fulfilling its oversight responsibilities by reviewing management’s recommendations. It also provides advice and assistance to the Board in the areas of strategic planning, implementation of key strategic initiatives, regulatory responsibilities, stakeholder consultation, and safety oversight.