Electrical Operating Permits

The latest issue of Electrical Safety News is now available!

How to get a permit from BCSA
For clients registered for our Online Services, you may apply for an operating permit online. 

For all other clients, please fill out the Electrical Operating Permit Application Form to request an operating permit.  

Note: Remember to name the Field Safety Representative (FSR) in your application.  The FSR may be an employee of the equipment owner or an electrical contractor. 

Operating permits are renewed annually. You will be sent an invoice and FSR verification form, which registered clients can pay for and verify through our Online Services.

Need help?  Contact us for assistance!


Who needs a permit?
Those who own, operate or maintain the following electrical equipment, require an operating permit when:

(1)  the operation or design of electrical equipment is such that regular or ongoing maintenance is required;

(2)  the electrical equipment is operated within Class I, Class II, or Class III hazardous locations;

(3)  the electrical equipment is operated or maintained for emergency service;

(4)  the electrical equipment is part of a fire alarm system;

(5)  the supply is greater than 250 kVA;

(6)  the supply to privately owned equipment, except for high voltage neon signs, is greater than 750 volts; or

(7)  the equipment is installed for temporary use and the supply is greater than 5 kVA.


Who issues a permit?
BC Safety Authority issues electrical operating permits for the Province of British Columbia, except for the following municipalities:

City of Burnaby

District of North Vancouver

District of Maple Ridge

City of North Vancouver

Municipality of West Vancouver

City of Vancouver

City of Surrey

City of Victoria


Permit Fees

Electrical Fee Schedule

Fees associated with permits allow BCSA to work with industry to reduce safety risks through assessment, education and outreach, enforcement and research.  BCSA is an independent, self-funded organization. 

Related Information

Read more about operating permit holder responsibilities.

Changed your FSR?
If you have an operating permit and your field safety representative (FSR) has changed, you must submit a Notice of FSR Change 

Learn more about:

Electrical operating permit holders may also obtain an electrical installation permit for limited scope of work without having to go through a contractor.  This includes service repair, maintenance and new construction that exceeds the scope of work outlined in the Directive and Information Bulletin.