Forms and fees referenced on this page:
- Boiler and Pressure Vessels fees
- Operating Permit Declaration of Status Change - All Technologies Form 1539
Operating permits are for owners of regulated equipment in commercial, residential, industrial, institutional or public assembly buildings. This equipment includes:
- Hot water boilers with a heating surface area exceeding 3 m²
- Steam boilers with a heating surface area exceeding 2 m²
- Hot potable water heaters exceeding 120 kW or 400,000 BTUs/h
- Air Conditioning and Refrigeration systems exceeding 25 kW prime mover nameplate capacity rating using Group A3, B2 or B3 refrigerant
- Air Conditioning and Refrigeration systems exceeding 125 kW prime mover nameplate capacity rating using Group Al, A2 or B1 refrigerant
A safety officer must inspect any of the equipment listed above before you can receive an operating permit. Once the equipment has passed inspection, you will receive your certificate of inspection, followed by an invoice for both the inspection and your operating permit. Once the invoice has been paid, you will receive your operating permit by mail or email (whichever you prefer). Please be prepared to pay the appropriate Boiler and Pressure Vessels fees.
The permit needs to be stored alongside the equipment. You will be invoiced for the permit’s annual renewal.
If you are selling, scrapping, or are no longer using your boiler, pressure vessel or refrigeration/HVAC system, please submit an Operating Permit Declaration of Status Change - All Technologies Form 1539 to any BCSA office to confirm that the equipment is no longer in use.
Propane Pressure Vessels
- Which propane storage tanks require an operating permit?
- Why is this important?
- Who should take out an operating permit?
- Responsibilities of the operating permit holder
- Who can work on a propane storage tank?
- Process to apply for an operating permit
- How does BCSA provide oversight to propane vessels?
- Servicing and Inspection Intervals
- Can your 200 psig propane tank remain in operation?
- Contact information
- Propane Forms