Forms referenced on this page:
- Gas Product Approval Form 500
- Gas Purchases / Miscellaneous Form 504
- Alternate Fuel Vehicle Decaling List Form 1031
BC Safety Authority manages the administration of gas equipment approvals and changes. If the equipment does not have a certification seal from a recognized testing agency, BCSA will complete the equipment approval on site. Remember, the appliance must not be installed until it has a label or mark as detailed in section 31 of the Gas Safety Regulations.
To arrange for equipment approval, please:
- Complete the Gas Product Approval Form 500 and,
- Submit to any BCSA office
Contact your area Gas Safety Officer through the regional BCSA offices to arrange to have your equipment assessed.
If it is an non-certified appliance:
- First apply to have your uncertified gas appliance registered,
- Once a journal number is issued for that design, the Product Approval (formally an SG) permit can be applied for.
- Once the unit is installed under an installation permit and ready for commissioning an inspection must be requested.
- On the fire-up of the appliance, the Safety officer will field certify the unit and decal it.
Canadian Certified Appliances
If it is a newly installed /relocated Canadian Certified appliance as indicated below, a “Commissioning Approval" only is required in addition to the installation permit:
- Any direct-fired, non-recirculating type, make-up heater,
- A conversion burner, except if it’s to be installed in a single family dwelling and has an input of 120kW or less,
- A commercial or industrial conversion burner,
- Any direct fired equipment, or
- A forced draft appliance over 409 600 BTU/hour.
If any appliance receives an upgrade or change when relocated/installed a commissioning approval request is required.