Asset Owner Responsibilities

If you own, lease, operate or maintain regulated equipment you have unique responsibilities through the equipment life cycle shown below. 

Understanding your responsibilities will help you:

  • Fulfill your legal obligations
  • Improve safety
  • Lengthen equipment life.

If you do not fulfill your obligations, you may be held liable for damages and subject to penalties if equipment fails.


To avoid receiving yearly invoices and being responsible for fee payments on operating permits, you must inform BCSA when you sell or dispose of regulated equipment.

Please complete and submit the Declaration of Status Change All Technologies form.

By providing BCSA with new owner information, we can ensure that ownership information on operating permits is kept current.


Find the types of regulated equipment overseen by BCSA through the links below:

Newly built equipment or equipment from outside of BC must be approved before being installed or operated.  Similarly, if you intend to build new equipment, the design must be registered before you begin.  Learn more about Equipment approval and Design registration.


Regulated equipment requires an operating permit.

If you own or manage the following types of premises, it’s likely that an operating permit is required: commercial properties, industrial plants, mills, manufacturing plants, multi-unit offices or residential buildings, schools, hospitals and municipal facilities.

Find specific requirements for each technology:

NOTE: Electrical operating permits require that you name the Field Safety Representative (FSR) hired to maintain your equipment.

Only qualified individuals* can maintain regulated equipment. They are responsible for:

• Technical safety inspection
• Operation and maintenance requirements
• Ensuring work records are kept up to date

* Please review the General Requirements & Information (found on the back of an Operating Permit) for more information.


Installation permits are likely required prior to operating if you are installing:

  • Electrical products
  • Boilers, refrigeration systems or pressure vessels
  • Regulated equipment, piping, or appliances that work with natural or manufactured gas
  • Passenger ropeways, elevating  or amusement devices

NOTE: Elevating devices, Passenger Ropeways and Amusement Devices require an acceptance inspection before operating.

Find a qualified contractor in your area to install your equipment.

NOTE: Electrical and Gas operating permit holders can obtain installation permits for limited scope work. Refer to electrical or gas installation permits for more information.

Please note, some municipalities have their own electrical and gas operating permits and inspection process.

Incidents with regulated equipment must be reported to BCSA within 24 hours of occurrence. Review the safety incident reporting guidelines for the reporting process.

Ways to Stay Connected

1. Sign up for our web notifications and the equipment owner newsletter
2. Questions? Call our contact centre at 1-866-566-7233
3. Print a PDF of your responsibilities
4. Register for BCSA’s online services by emailing
5. Register for BCSA’s online Learning Centre.