Forms and fees referenced on this page:

Within Canada Certificate Assessment (Province-to-Province)

To get your Gas Fitter A or B qualification, you must pass the relevant exam. To apply for the exam, submit the following documents to any BCSA offices:

  1. A photocopy of your current Gas Fitter certificate or licence.
  2. A completed Application for Gas fitter Examination Certificate of Qualification Form 507. Please check off the box marked "ARD".
  3. A cheque payable to BCSA, or credit card payment for the appropriate fee. The fee also covers your gas fitter qualification for three years.

If you’re eligible for the exam, we’ll send details of how and where to book your exam. You must pass at least 70% of the 40 multiple-choice questions in three hours. The questions in the exam will be about:
BC Safety Standards Act
BC Safety Standards General Regulations
Gas Safety Regulations and Gas Directives

If you aren’t eligible, BCSA will return your exam booking fee, minus an evaluation fee of $58 plus taxes. To get your gas fitter licence you’ll need to follow the steps detailed in licencing.

If you pass the exam you’ll receive a wallet card and wall certificate within three weeks. If you don’t pass the first time, you’ll have 30 days in which to take the exam again.

Recognized gas licenses or certificates

Use this table to understand which BC Gas licence to apply for:

ProvinceCertificate or LicenceBC Equivalent
ManitobaCommercial and Industrial gas fitter's licence
Domestic gas fitter's licence
Gas Fitter A
Gas Fitter B
AlbertaGas Fitter A Certificate
Gas Fitter B Certificate
Gas Fitter A
Gas Fitter B
New BrunswickClass G1-L Gas Technician Licence
Class G1-L Gas Technician
Gas Fitter A
Gas Fitter B
North West TerritoriesGas Fitter Class 1
Gas Fitter Class 2
Gas Fitter A
Gas Fitter B
Nova ScotiaGas Fitter 1 Certificate
Gas Fitter 2 Certificate
Gas Fitter A
Gas Fitter B
OntarioGas Technician 1 (G1) Certificate
Gas Technician 2 (G2)
Gas Fitter A
Gas Fitter B
QuebecClass 1 (TAG-1) Certificate
Class  2 (TAG-2) Certificate 
Gas Fitter A
Gas Fitter B
SaskatchewanGeneral Gas-fitter's license
Domestic Gas-fitter's license
Gas Fitter A
Gas Fitter B
YukonGas Fitter Class 1
Gas Fitter Class 2 with LPG addendum
Gas Fitter A
Gas Fitter B

Out of Country Certificate Assessments

You must apply for credit for your Certifications or experience gained outside of Canada.

The following supporting documentation must be submitted

  1. A letter or email indicating your request including your first, middle and last name, date of birth, current Address, phone number, and email and cell phone if available.
  2. Detailed documentation providing proof of work experience, including letters from current or previous employer(s) on company letterhead signed by an officer of the company verifying the nature of the work experience.

Detailed documentation must include but is not limited to the following:

  • Specific time periods where experience has been gained (i.e. Sept 1999 to January 2003).
  • Specific types of appliances and nature of work performed (i.e. furnaces/water heaters/boilers,Industrial Process Equipment, service/installation). Describe Btuh input of equipment and a minimum of six addresses of locations where work was completed.
  • Reference letters from the individual(s) for whom you were working under the direct supervision  on company letterhead. Including names and certificate numbers.

If verification of work experience cannot be obtained from your employer(s), a Notarized Statutory Declaration (by a Notary Public or Commissioner for Taking Oaths) must be submitted. This declaration must include the above information.

  • Confirmation of out of country certification as appropriate.
  • Course outlines
  • Appropriate legislation as it pertains to the scope of your authorization from the jurisdiction you hold an authorization.

In some cases the original documents may be requested and must be supplied for review prior to final review approval

You can expect a written response from BCSA within 20 business days.