Forms and fees referenced on this page:


Effective July 1, 2010, the New West Partnership Trade Agreement (NWPTA), which builds on the Trade, Industry, and Labour Mobility Agreement (TILMA) is an agreement between the provincial governments of BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan to collaborate on trade, investments, and labour mobility to support economic development.

Under the NWPTA and TILMA agreements, it is easier for workers who wish to come to BC and become a Field Safety Representative (FSR) or to obtain a contractor’s license.

Certification as an FSR is not required to do electrical work. An FSR is required for a contractor’s license, permits, and/or make declarations on electrical work performed under permits.

Working in BC as an electrician

In order to perform electrical work in the province of BC, you would need to:

  • Hold the interprovincial Red Seal, or
  • Have a certificate or qualification in the electrical trade, obtained in Canada (e.g., BCTQ), or
  • Be registered in a Canadian apprenticeship program that will lead to qualification.

Section 4 of the BC Electrical Safety Regulations outlines the requirements for individuals who may perform electrical work.

Who can obtain permits

An electrical operating permit can only be obtained by the owner of the equipment.

An electrical installation permit can only be obtained by:

  • A contractor licensed in BC
  • A homeowner
  • The holder of an operating permit

For both the installation and operating permits, an FSR must be named on the permit by the applicant.

To become a licensed contractor

In order to be a licensed contractor you would need to:

Certification as an FSR

An FSR can, on behalf of an employer, make declarations that the work described in the permit falls within the scope of their qualifications and that it complies with the Act and regulations. To obtain certification as an FSR, you would need to:

For further information, or for information on restricted class certification, please review the certficate of qualification exam.

To Become an FSR with Alberta’s Master Electrician certification

If you are from Alberta and you hold a Master Electrician certification, to obtain certification as an FSR in BC, you must: