Electrical Homeowner Permits

Forms and fees referenced on this page:

All homeowners doing regulated electrical work are required to obtain a permit before they begin. Please note that some municipalities issue their own electrical permits.

Applying for your homeowner electrical permit

To apply for a homeowner electrical permit you must complete and submit the following to BCSA:

Homeowner Temporary Construction Permit

To apply for a homeowner temporary construction permit you must complete and submit the following:

Note: Homeowners will have the ability to pull a homeowner's electrical installation permit soon on online services. In the meantime, you can connect with our call centre at 1-866-566-7233 for support.

Inspecting your work

You must request that a safety officer inspect your electrical work before any wiring is concealed or connected to a supply source. This also applies to any wiring for underground installations or installations that will become encased in concrete. Every 180 days from the date when the homeowner permit for electrical was issued, a safety officer is required to conduct an inspection. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to request the inspections, even if no work was completed between the inspections. The completed electrical work must also pass the final inspection by a safety officer.

Request these inspections by completing the Electrical Homeowner Inspection Request Form 1011 and submitting it to a BCSA office.

Owners of other types of buildings

Owners of a strata, non-strata duplex or home with legal suites, and those operating a business from their home, cannot obtain homeowner permits and must hire a licensed contractor to perform legal, permitted work.