Here are answers to some common questions we get from our clients:
- How long will it take to process my permit / assessment?
- What are BC Safety Authority’s office hours and contact info?
- Why do I need to provide a postal code for my permit?
- What is the cost of my permit, exam, evaluation, etc?
- Where can I find the application form for a permit, exam, assessment, etc?
- Can you recommend a contractor for my job?
- Do you have list of safety officers anywhere on your website?
- Can I process this permit / assessment myself online?
- Is BC Safety Authority a government agency?
- Why are the regional offices only open until 12:30pm?
- Do I pull my permit through BC Safety Authority or through City Hall?
How long will it take to process my permit / assessment / request / declaration/ etc.?
We process emailed requests in the order they are received. We aim for a turnaround time of two business days.
You can also purchase your permits and request assessments yourself through our online portal, MyConnection.
Our Offices Across BC page shows the phone numbers, hours and address (with maps) of all of BC Safety Authority's regional offices.
Why do I need to provide a postal code for my permit?
Postal codes are used to accurately assign the correct safety officer to your permit. An incomplete or incorrect postal code may cause your request to be delayed.
What is the cost of my permit, exam, evaluation, etc?
The service costs for all our technologies can be found in our latest fee schedules.
Where can I find the application form for a permit, exam, assessment, etc.?
Please visit Forms for a full list. Use the drop-down menu to filter by technology.
Can you recommend a contractor for my job?
We do not recommend contractors. However, you can search our list of licensed contractors and filter by technology and location to find someone in your area.
Do you have a list of safety officers anywhere on your website?
No. Please call the contact centre at 1-866-566-7233 or email email@example.com and we will put you in touch with a safety officer in your area.
Yes. Clients can use our online transactional portal MyConnection to pull permits, view a list of their permits, request assessments and much more.
No. BC Safety Authority has been an independent, self-funded organization for over 10 years.
We are mandated to oversee the safe installation and operation of technical systems and equipment. In addition to issuing permits, licences and certificates, we work with industry to reduce safety risks through assessment, education and outreach, enforcement, and research.
Why are the regional offices only open until 12:30pm?
The regional offices close in the afternoon for training sessions, contractor education as well as application processing.
The New Westminster office is open until 4:30pm. If you need to get a hold of us after that time, call the contact centre at 1-866-566-7233 from 7am until 6pm PST Monday to Friday.
BC Safety Authority has jurisdiction for permits and inspections in almost all BC municipalities, districts, and aboriginal lands for the following technologies: Electrical; Gas; Boilers, Pressure Vessels and Refrigeration; Elevating Devices, Amusement Devices; Passenger Ropeways; and Railways.
Some municipalities administer their own electrical and gas permits, as follows:
|Jurisdictions for Permits and Inspections|
|North Vancouver (City)||City||City*|
|North Vancouver (District)||City||City*|
* BCSA for Natural Gas > 14 kPa (2psig) and/or > 120 Kw (409,600 Btu/hr) total load. BCSA for all other regulated gases, such as propane, methane, and hydrogen.