2015 BC Electrical Code Adoption
4 December 2015
Reference #: IB-EL 2015-06
This Bulletin provides guidance with regard to the use of the 2012 and 2015 Electrical Code editions, permits and performance of regulated electrical work.
The Electrical Safety Regulation has been amended as per the attached Ministerial Order, and is effective as of February 29, 2016. This provides for adoption of the 2015 Canadian Electrical Code, with BC amendments, as the BC Electrical Code 2015. Please also see appended Ministerial Order.
BC Electrical Code Regulation 2012 remains in effect until February 29, 2016.
Electrical Permits & Field Safety Representative Exams:
- Effective February 29, 2016, all of the electrical work performed under an installation permit, installation work performed under an operating permit, or a gas or elevating device permit, must be performed in accordance with the BC Electrical Code 2015.
- Effective February 29, 2016, all exams will be based on the BC Electrical Code 2015.
- Exams that are written prior to February 29, 2016, will be based on the BC Electrical Code Regulation 2012.
- Installation permits issued prior to December 2, 2015, will require work to be done according to the BC Electrical Code Regulation in effect at the time of issuance.
- For permits obtained after December 2, 2015 and before February 29, 2016, and for installations done under an operating permit during this time, the electrical work will be based on the BC Electrical Code Regulation 2012, except under an approved variance.
To request a variance, within BCSA jurisdictions, the permit application must state the following under Description of Work: Variance requested to utilize the BC Electrical Code 2015 for work performed under this permit. Issuance of the permit is considered to be acceptance of the variance request. There is no fee for the variance in BCSA jurisdictions. Note that all work performed under the permit must be in compliance with the BC Electrical Code 2015, as a condition of the variance. Please check with municipal authorities having jurisdiction for their permit requirements.
Safety Manager, Electrical
Ministerial Order No. M 392