Homeowner Permits

Every year homeowners across BC take on gas and electrical projects. Whether it’s building your first home, home repairs or doing renovations, it’s a challenging task. BCSA is here to ensure that your work is safe and compliant to the codes in BC. We’ll check to make sure that you have sufficient knowledge and/or experience to do the work properly and safely. We'll issue to you a permit that signifies that you have met the requirements to do the home renovations. We’ll also inspect your work to ensure it meets safety standards.

This section will provide you with the information that you need to get either your electrical or your gas permits.

Propane Pressure Vessels

If you are a BC homeowner who owns or operates a propane storage tank in BC, you need to be aware that by law your propane tank must be registered with BC Safety Authority with an annual Operating Permit.  (see What kinds of propane pressure vessels are affected?)

The owner of the propane tank should take out the operating permit, and in most instances this will be your propane supplier. Please refer to Operating Permit Requirements for Propane Pressure Vessels (BCSA Directive #D-BP-2015-01).

However, if you do own your own tank(s), please refer to the information below, especially What does an operating permit applicant need to do?