State of Safety Report 2014
About the State of Safety Report
BC Safety Authority (BCSA) receives reports of incidents and conducts assessments of regulated equipment and work. Through investigation and assessment, BCSA advances the knowledge of safety risks and focuses attention toward managing those risks.
The 2014 State of Safety report is the eleventh publication of its kind from BCSA.
In accordance with the administrative agreement between the Province of British Columbia and BCSA, the State of Safety report provides:
- Analysis of incident and injury trends in all sectors regulated by BCSA.
- Explanations for incident and injury trends, particularly significant deviations.
- Comparisons, where possible, between BC incidents and those of other jurisdictions.
- Responses to information gathered from investigations, including understanding causes and taking necessary action to resolve systemic problems.
- A summary of risk-reduction initiatives and safety services to educate and communicate with the general public, clients and stakeholders of BCSA.
- A summary of national committees and inter-provincial working groups where BCSA has participated and provided leadership.
- A listing of enforcement actions taken by BCSA.
This report is organized into two main sections. Each section aims to provide an understanding of safety hazards observed in 2014 followed by the efforts led by BCSA to facilitate duty holder management of those hazards.
The first section provides an overall summary of hazards and safety management efforts at an organizational level, while the second section provides a similar analysis specific to each industry sector regulated by BCSA.
|State of Safety Report 2014 Index|