Forms and fees referenced on this page:
- Application for Power Engineer, Operator and Safety Awareness Examinations Form 1004
- Application for Power Engineer Duplicate/Replacement Form 1494
- Evaluation Application for Power Engineer, Operator and Safety Awareness Examinations Form 1206
- Plant Operating Experience Form 1026
- Registration of Welder Performance Qualification Form 802
- Registration of Welding Procedure Form 825
- Certificate of Recognition Application Form 1383
- Boiler Fee Schedule
- Application for Power Engineer Duplicate/Replacement Form 1494
Certificate of Qualification process
British Columbia has the following classes of certification:
- First class power engineer
- Second class power engineer
- Third class power engineer
- Fourth class power engineer
- Fifth class power engineer
- Refrigeration operator
- Oilwell boiler operator
- Antique show boiler operator
- Ice facility operator
- Safety awareness boiler
- Safety awareness refrigeration
Applicants for Certificate of Qualification must pass the respective certification exams and must have the evaluation application successfully evaluated.
Exam Application Process
To apply for Power Engineer, Operator or Safety Awareness examination, take the following steps:
- Complete the mandatory approved course (if applicable)
Check: pre-requisite for certification examination.
Applicants should review the BCSA’s approved list of course providers for Power Engineer, Operator and Safety Awareness Certifications.
- Complete the exam application Submit Application for Power Engineer, Operator and Safety Awareness Examinations Form 1004 along with payment and proof of course completion (if applicable) or proof of equivalent education (if applicable). You will be required to provide original copies of documents. Notarized copies will also be accepted. Submit your application and exam fees to any BCSA office.
- Receive your exam confirmation letter by email or mail (depending on preference indicated).
- Contact BCSA to confirm your exam date, location and time.
- Sit for your exam (Remember to bring photo identification when you write your exam).
- Receive your exam results (by mail or email depending on the preference you have indicated).
Evaluation Application Process
To apply for Power Engineer, Operator or Safety Awareness Certificate of Qualification evaluation, take the following steps:
- The evaluation application for Power Engineer, Operator or Safety Awareness Certificate of Qualification can be made at any stage of certification provided you meet all the pre-requisite for certification & evaluation requirements.
- Once you have met all the pre-requisite for the applicable certification, complete and submit the Evaluation Application for Power Engineer, Operator and Safety Awareness Examinations Form 1206, the Plant Operating Experience Form 1026 and supporting documents for any applicable credits for reduction of qualifying work experience. Submit your application and evaluation fee to any BCSA office.
- If your evaluation application and your supporting documents is approved, you will receive qualification review letter, advising you of the decision, by email or mail (depending on preference indicated).
- If your evaluation application and/ or your supporting documents is not approved, you will receive qualification review letter, advising you of the decision and providing the reason, by email or mail (depending on preference indicated).
- Contact BCSA if you have not received certification or notification within 4 weeks after you have submitted the evaluation application.
More information about these prerequisites can be found in the Power Engineer, Boiler, Pressure Vessel & Refrigeration Regulations website and/or to download the Power Engineer syllabus visit the Standardization of Power Engineer Examinations Committee (SOPEEC) website.
The BCP-100 Certificate allows BC and Alberta Welders to work in either province.
In order to be eligible to take a BCP-100 Pressure Welder Certificate of Qualification examination in the Province of British Columbia, a candidate must:
1. Hold a Journeyman Welder Certificate of Qualification issued by the
Industry Training Authority of British Columbia, or
2. Hold a Registered “A” or “B” Level Certificate of Qualification for
Welding issued by the Industry Training Authority of British Columbia,
3. Hold a Journeyman Welder’s Interprovincial Standards Red Seal
Certification from another jurisdiction.
The BCP-100 Pressure Welder Certificate of Qualification examination will be conducted by a Boiler Safety Officer. To arrange your test, please contact your local BC Safety Authority office.
Also see the Reference Syllabus For BCP-100 Pressure Welder.
Welding and repair companies test their new welders to qualify their procedure experience. To register a new welder:
- Visit a Certificate of Recognition holders to perform the test procedure.
- Complete the Registration of Welder Performance Qualification Form 802 and,
- Send your form and logbook by registered mail to any BCSA or,
- Visit any of the BCSA offices in person and,
- Pay the Application Fee according to the Boiler Fee Schedule.
- We will validate your welding book within 5 working days. If you require a shorter processing time, please contact us before submitting your logbook, to make arrangements.
- Visit a recognized welding testing agency or engineering firm to perform the test procedure
- Complete the Registration of Welding Procedure Form 825
- Send your form to any BCSA regional office or,
- Visit any BCSA offices in person and,
- Pay the Application Fee according to the Boiler Fee Schedule
- A company applying to register a procedure must be the holder of a contractor licence issued by BC Safety Authority. Please see Page 9 of the "A", "Au" & "Ap" Contractor Licencing Guide for QC Manual.
A Certificate of Recognition is issued to a person or organization who applies to be recognized by the Provincial Safety Manager to be competent in administering performance qualification tests for pressure welders in accordance with Section 42 of the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration safety regulation.
To apply for or renew a Certificate of Recognition, the followings must be submitted:
- Completed and signed Welding Testing Agency Certificate of Recognition Application Form 1383
- Completed Quality Manual Review Checklist for the Administration of Welding Performance Qualification Tests which can be found on page 2 to 7 in the Welding Performance Testing Administrator - Guide for Assessment of Quality Control Manuals MAN-4017-00,
- Completed Quality Control Manual as outlined in the Welding Performance Qualifications Test Administrator - Guide for Applicants for Guidance Manual MAN-4018, along with
- Payment for minimum charge of assessment fee (non-refundable, by hourly Safety Services Rate in accordance with the Boiler Fee Schedule):
a. For new application – 5 hours
b. For renewal – one hour
Please submit your application, documents and payment to:
BC Safety Authority
Suite 200 – 505 6th Street
New Westminster, BC
Attn: Power Engineer Certificate of Recognition
Your Power Engineer certificate must be posted either at your work or site location. If you do not have the original certificate or require duplicate certificate for multi-work sites, please complete the Application for Power Engineer Duplicate/Replacement Form 1494 and submit to a BCSA office.
If you have a replacement certificate and found your original certificate, please return the replacement certificate to any BCSA office (unless it is a duplicate certificate). An email to BCSA advising us of finding your original certificate is not sufficient. Please return the replacement certificate.