The Safety Officer is accountable to the Regional Business Leader for maintaining and enhancing public safety by educating the public and industry and ensuring that codes, regulations and standards of safety are understood and observed.
· Ensure that safety codes, regulations and standards are upheld with regard to a specific technology within an established geographical area by conducting inspections, evaluating/auditing client work, and raising public awareness.
· Educate clients on how to meet safety requirements by providing on-site demonstrations or over-the-phone support.
· Document inspections to ensure work meets Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
· Maintain expertise on rapidly changing technology by staying up-to-date on relevant industry changes and upgrading own knowledge and skill on an ongoing basis.
· Develop new Safety Officers by providing on-the-job training, regular mentoring and ongoing technical support.
· Requires completion of a trade school certification program, an apprenticeship in related technology. Preference for a two year diploma from a recognized Institute of Technology.
· Four years of experience with a BC Class B gas fitter license and two years of experience with a BC Class A gas fitter license.
· Knowledge of audit programs and risk assessment techniques.
· Excellent problem solving and decision making skills.
· Ability to work in a computerized environment and use common software.
· A Valid BC Drivers’ License and a willingness to travel.
· Skilled at managing tense and conflict situations. Relying on persuasion rather than enforcement to ensure safety requirements are observed.
· Will be required to successfully complete a Gas Inspector’s Certificate of Qualification Examination prior to an offer of employment being made. Successful completion is defined as a 70% or better score.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete this application procedure:
1. Copy and paste the questions (below) to your email and provide an answer to each question.
2. Save your cover letter and resume into one document, preferably a PDF file, quoting competition number 15-28.
3. Attach additional documents as may be required.
4. Apply Now.
1. Do you currently work or have you previously worked for BC Safety Authority?
(Response: Yes or No). If yes, please provide your position and department.
2. Are you legally entitled to work in Canada? (Response: Yes or No).
3. If you are on a work or study permit, please provide the expiry date.
4. Have you completed a Trade School Certification Program in a related technology? (Response: Yes or No).
5. Do you have a minimum of four years of experience with a BC Class B gas fitter license? (Response: Yes or No).
6. Do you have a minimum of two years of experience with a BC Class A gas fitter license? (Response: Yes or No).
7. Do you have knowledge of audit programs and risk assessment techniques? (Response: Yes or No).
8. Do you have an ability to work in a computerized environment and use common software? (Response: Yes or No).
9. Do you have a valid BC Drivers’ License? (Response: Yes or No).