Who we are
BC Safety Authority (BCSA) is an independent, self-funded organization mandated to oversee the safe installation and operation of technical systems and equipment. In addition to issuing permits, licences and certificates, we work with industry to reduce safety risks through assessment, education and outreach, enforcement, and research.
What we do
We deliver safety services across the following technologies in the province:
- Electrical equipment and systems
- Boilers, pressure vessels and refrigeration systems
- Natural gas and propane appliances and systems, including hydrogen
- Elevating devices, such as elevators and escalators
- Railways, including commuter rail
- Passenger ropeways, such as aerial trams and ski lifts
- Amusement devices
- Complex and integrated technical systems involving several technologies
Our products and services include:
- Assessing technical work and equipment, including collecting information through physical assessment, incident investigation and registering new equipment and designs.
- Certifying individuals and licensing contractors and operators to perform regulated work.
- Supporting clients in the development of alternative safety approaches, and auditing their safety management plans or equivalent standard approaches.
- Educating and sharing technical systems safety information with our clients and the broader public to better control risks.
- Enforcing actions that promote an equitable safety system where all participants are compliant with regulations.
- Conducting research, including contributing to provincial and national safety code development and updating regulations for the technologies we serve.
BCSA operates within a legislative and regulatory framework that includes the:
- Safety Authority Act
- Safety Standards Act and Regulations
- Railway Safety Act and Regulations
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Ombudsperson Act
Additional resources about our organization:
BC Safety Authority oversees the safety of technical systems and equipment for a specific set of industry sectors
- Spanning residential, commercial and industrial settings, serving both individuals and businesses.
- Responsible for administering parts of the provincial Safety Standards Act and the Railway Safety Act, and related regulations.
- Responsible for ensuring the ongoing sustainability and relevance of BC’s technical safety system.
- Employing over 300 experts in various fields.
A comprehensive presentation of our services can be found in our most recent State of Safety Report.
Information about BCSA's Executive Team and Board of Directors is available in the Corporate Governance section of our website.